Logic would suggest that the smartest and most successful gamblers follow very specific strategies. That in order to gain an edge over the house, you need to master the art of tipping the balance in your favour.
After all, experienced gamblers tend to be more successful than their inexperienced counterparts.
But what seems like a logical conclusion has a tendency to steer newcomers in an entirely unprofitable direction. On one hand, it is true to say that a sensible gambling strategy is essential, when playing online casino games. On the other, to believe it’s ever truly possible to gain an edge over the house is to pave the way for disappointment.
If not, disastrous losses.
Truth is, the most effective gambling strategy is an uncomplicated common sense approach to the games you play. One that incorporates the following activities and behaviours, which combine to create the only gambling strategy that’s guaranteed to pay dividends:
1 – Leverage Online Casino Bonuses
First up, casino bonuses are the closest you’re ever likely to get to free money. Though it’s worth pointing out that there’s really no such thing as ‘free’ money when gambling online. Casino bonuses simply provide access to additional bonus funds, which can be used to enjoy the games on offer.
Still, this doesn’t mean that they cannot and should not be taken full advantage of. After all, anything that lets you play for free is well worth checking out. Top-shelf casino bonuses can be great for stretching your bankroll as far as possible.
Just be sure to check out those all-important terms and conditions, prior to going ahead. Not all online casino bonuses are worth taking advantage of, so make your decisions wisely.
2 – Choose Online Casino Games with a Low House Edge
There is always an inescapable house edge that applies when playing any casino games. This is what ensures the casino collects steady profits and enables the business to function.
Hence, the best thing any player can do is stick with games that have the lowest possible house edge. You can’t eliminate the house edge entirely, but you can reduce it to the bare minimum by playing the following games:
- Blackjack – Depending on the type of blackjack you play and the wagers you place, it’s possible to reduce the house edge to as little as 0.5%. Blackjack can therefore be great for making the most of your money.
- Video Poker – It’s the same with video poker, where the right strategy can reduce the house edge to practically zero. Though in this case, you’ll need to get your video poker strategy in order first.
- Roulette – Supremely enjoyable and easy to get into, several wagers at the roulette table carry a near 50/50 chance of winning or losing. A house edge that almost keeps things balanced, though tilts just slightly in favour of the establishment.
- Baccarat – Baccarat is one of those games that are assumed by most to be difficult to play but actually couldn’t be easier. Plus, as you can back your hand or the dealer’s hand to win, you can take total control of your destiny at the table.
- Poker – Poker is unique in that no house edge applies in the traditional sense. Instead, the house takes a cut of each prize pot, meaning the only people you have to outwit are your fellow players at the table.
3 – Avoid Casino Games with a High House Edge
At the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the kinds of games that tip things disproportionately in favour of the house.
Each of the following can still provide a hugely enjoyable experience, but won’t give you nearly the same chance of keeping things balanced in your favour:
- Slots Games – Each slot game has its own unique RTP, which in some instances can be as high as 98%. However, some slots have RTPs closer to 85%, which when combined with high volatility can make for an unprofitable experience.
- Scratch Games – There may be huge prizes to play for, but the odds of winning a great deal by playing online scratch games are minimal. Plus, the whole thing is over in just a few seconds, making light work of limited bankrolls.
- Keno – The fact that Keno takes some time to play out makes it a firm favourite among those looking to make their money go as far as possible. Unfortunately, the average return rate when playing Keno is somewhere in the region of just 75%.
- Craps – Craps can be one of the most exciting and enjoyable games, but has an average return rate significantly lower than that of blackjack, roulette and baccarat.
4 – Do Your Homework
Practice makes perfect, but you also need to take the time to study the games you enjoy playing most. They say knowledge is power, which couldn’t be truer where casino games are concerned.
Of course, it’s not to say that all the research in the world will help you gain a genuine edge over the house. If getting one over on the establishment was possible, we’ll all be doing it by now.
Instead, it’s simply a case of learning the mechanics of the games you enjoy at the deepest possible level. The more knowledge you bring to the table, the higher the likelihood of a successful outcome.
5 – Maintain a Realistic Mindset
Last up, the key to success at any casino – online or otherwise – lies in maintaining a realistic mindset. Contrary to popular belief, gambling is not supposed to be about turning a profit. It’s a pursuit of pure pleasure and entertainment – not a way to make money with any kind of consistency.
This is the single most important hallmark at the core of all sensible gambling strategies. If you set out 100% convinced you’ll win, you’re missing the mark entirely. If you’re in it purely for enjoyment and treat all wins as unexpected bonuses, you’re golden.
Roughly summarised, the only gambling strategy that works is accepting there’s no such thing as a winning gambling strategy!
You might also find the following articles interesting:
- 10 Things You (Probably) Never Knew About Online Gambling
- 14 Tips and Tricks for Online Casino Beginners
- A Beginner’s Guide to Roulette – Getting Started